Marias River Wildlife Management Area
Deer hunters, who want to hunt the Marias River Wildlife Management Area southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406, have the month of June to submit their application.
Applicants must put in for a specific archery period or a general rifle season period. There are three archery periods each lasting two weeks, from Sept. 2 through Oct. 15. The three general season periods run one week each, from Oct. 21 through Nov. 12.
A random drawing will take place for:
Archery Season - Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for Sept. 2-Sept. 16
- 10 archers for Sept. 17-Sept. 30
- 10 archers for Oct. 1- Oct. 15
General Season - Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 rifle hunters for Oct. 21-Oct. 27
- 10 rifle hunters for Oct. 28 – Nov. 3
- 10 rifle hunters for Nov. 4-Nov. 12
Public hunting access for all other species is open on the Marias River WMA. Hunters can submit applications starting 8 a.m., June 1, until 5 p.m., June 30. All drawing applications must be submitted electronically either on the FWP web page, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html or at any FWP regional or area office.
Points to remember
- 3 archery hunt periods, each approximately 2 weeks in length
- 10 archery season hunters per period
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters per period
- Hunters may apply for a single hunt period only.
- No party applications accepted.
- Hunt periods are not transferable.
- Hunters may apply only once.
- Application must be made electronically (fwp.mt.gov) beginning 8 a.m., June 1, 2017. Persons may make electronic application at FWP Regional offices.
- Application deadline is 5 p.m., June 30, 2017 (applications must be received by 5 p.m.).
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, email address, ALS number and desired hunt period (applicant may choose only one) on the application.
- Incomplete applications will be removed from the drawing.
- Drawing will take place after June 30.
- Successful applicants will be contacted via email only with hunt access information and authorized permission prior to the start of the archery season.
- Successful applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
- All hunting will conform to the existing FW Commission-established season structure in HD 406.