Avalanche Warning for Marias Pass, Nearby Ranges
The Flathead Avalanche Center in Hungry Horse has issued a BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING for the following areas:
NWS Missoula MT - MTC 029 (Flathead County)...MTC 047 (Lake County)...MTC 053 (Lincoln County)
* WHAT...The avalanche danger is HIGH due to a warm, wet, and windy storm sweeping across the forecast region. The avalanche danger may remain elevated Wednesday and into Thursday.
* WHERE...On and below steep slopes at all elevations in the Whitefish Range, Swan Range, Flathead Range, and parts of Glacier National Park (John F. Stevens Canyon, the Apgar Range, and Marias Pass area).
* WHEN...In effect from Tue 07:00 MST to Wed 07:00 MST.
* IMPACTS...Rain on snow, heavy snow, and blowing snow will overload the snow surface and buried weak layers resulting in widespread areas of unstable snow and natural avalanches.
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...Very dangerous avalanche conditions are developing. Travel in avalanche terrain is downright dangerous. Avalanches may run long distances and into mature forests, valley floors, or flat terrain.
Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the coverage area of this or any avalanche center.